Songjiang, called Huating in ancient times and also named as Yunjian, Rongcheng, Gushui, etc., is a famous and affluent area in the south of the Yangtze River. In the Tang Dynasty Tianbao tenth year (751), the Huating County was established. In 1277 AD, it was upgraded to Huating Prefecture and was renamed as Songjiang Prefecture in 1278 AD. To the Qing Dynasty Jiaqing tenth year (1805), there was 1 prefecture unit (Songjiang), 7 counties (Huating, Shanghai, Qingpu, Lou, Fengxian, Jinshan and Nanhui) and 1 office (Chuansha) in this area. In The first year of the republic of China (1912), the Songjiang Prefecture was revoked. Huating and Lou County merged as Huating County, under the authority of Jiangsu Province. In The Third year of the republic of China (1914 years), it renamed Songjiang County. After the liberation, southern Jiangsu administrative department set up Songjiang Special District. In Mar. 1958, the Special District of Songjiang was removed and was hosted by Suzhou Special District. In Nov. of the same year, the administration of Songjiang was handed over to Shanghai Government. In Feb. 1998, it became a district of Shanghai, authorized by the State Council.